Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Lookin' On The Bright Side....

Posted by Picasa I sit here on the couch contemplating how 2006 has gone so far, and I can't help but think that this year is going to go down as "one of those years" in my life where nothing seems to go my way. Just when I think I can deal with one crisis, life seems to throw me another punch, and I'm back to trying to pick myself up off the floor again. And to top it all off, I've completely let myself go again with respect to my weight. Back in January, I was at an all-time low of 173 and feeling absolutely incredible. Twenty-three little pounds away from reaching goal. It was right there in front of me. And then life just seems to throw all these things at me, and I again turn to food. May 8 was my yearly physical, and I found myself staring in disbelief at the scale as the nurse announced "206lbs". Later that day, I began to realize that my weight seems to be a visible barometer for how I'm doing on the inside. Anyone who knows me well enough should be able to look at me and immediately tell how my life is going at that particular moment. I've had a horrible start to my year, and I've got the extra 33lbs since January to prove it.

But I'm desperately trying to look at the bright side through all of this. I'm three weeks into my plan of eating better and making it to the gym for the first time in months. I'm already back down to 193. I've signed up for another 5K next month and am training to beat my old time. And I just realized that at this time last year, I weighed 228lbs, which had been the result of overeating from deep depression over my new husband leaving for a 6-month deployment. So when I look at it that way, forget the fact that I've yo-yo'd, I am still down 35lbs from this time last year. And that feels pretty good.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Mrs. B, your weight struggles and mine are very similar. Anytime you want to talk, let me know. I'll give you my yahoo id.

-Julie

Jimmy Moore said...

Hey Mrs. B,

THANK YOU for being honest enough to blog about how hard it is to keep the weight off. I tell people all the time that losing weight isn't hard, it's the keeping it off that's hard. It can be a daily struggle if you don't keep your head in the game and I've been there.

As a man who lost 180 pounds on the low-carb lifestyle in 2004, I can personally attest to the challenges that come with keeping the weight off forever. Weight can creep up on you, but you MUST MUST MUST get it under control before control slips away from you.

I'm battling that myself right now, too, and want you to know you have a kindred spirit who is thinking and praying for you right now through this struggle. But just as I am going to make it, so will you! Keep the faith and never let go of what got you the success to begin with.

Please feel free to contact me anytime you need a word of encouragement and hope. I'll be there for you!

Take care!

Jimmy Moore, author of "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb"
LivinLaVidaLowCarb.com
livinlowcarbman@charter.net