Saturday, April 05, 2008

Breadless Mrs. B, No More? Changing Sides With Weight Watchers: Week 1, 239.4 lbs

Well, I did something today I never thought I'd do in a million years. I walked into my first Weight Watchers meeting this morning. Once again, I've completely let myself go, and this time my weight is the worst it's been in a loooong time. Last Saturday, I actually tipped the scales at 247.4. Just a few measly pounds away from my highest of 255 a few years ago when I first started out with low-carb. So of course none of my clothes fit, going from a size 12/14 to literally busting out of my size 18's (my side pockets in my khakis are actually ripping). My complexion's a mess, and I feel absolutely huge. The last straw? On my plane trip up to Boston a few days ago for Spring Break, I had one of those fat girl moments. You know that little arm rest thingy that separates the seats? Well, it wouldn't go all the way down because my big fat thigh was in the way. HOW EMBARRASSING. The guy sitting next to me kept trying to rest his arm on the armrest (duh), and kept pushing it down, like he thought it was broke or something. I was mortified.... I swore to myself I wouldn't do this to myself again, and yet here I am... hopelessly fat .... again.... the fat person that no one wants to get stuck sitting next to on a plane.

So all you faithful low-carbers, I have to find something different. While I fully acknowledge that my body responds best to low-carb, right now my emotional/binging issues with food far outweigh (how's that for a pun?) my body's sugar issues. I have got to find some system of accountability, support, and something with a better focus on portion control. And so I'm giving Weight Watchers a try.

My whole experience this morning at the meeting was one big pleasant surprise. I never realized what a following WW's has. I was afraid of it being a small group (where I'd stick out like a sore thumb) in some rinky-dink meeting room borrowed from another business. How wrong I was. This place was packed, I'd say easily 70 people, and they were running out of seats. And the office space was for WW only, complete with a reception area, staging area, scales, signs, posters, wall of products, everything. The leaders and receptionists were so nice, and I immediately felt like this was something I needed to look forward to once a week. And so I signed up. My first weigh-in: 239.4. SOoooo far to go, but WW focuses on just the first 10%, so 216 is looking somewhat doable.

And so, "Breadless Mrs. B" no more? Of course not..... but probably something more along the lines of "Less-Bread Mrs. B" would be in order ;)


No comments: